Common Media is looking for an outstanding communicator, CMS savvy, energetic, and driven project manager to join our digital consultancy. The ideal candidate has practice running production teams — technical or creative — and experience gathering the requirements from clients that define production work. Our project managers need to love talking with people, asking questions and collaborating with colleagues to execute work on time, on budget, and on target with a client’s goals. You need to be excited about the web and making beautiful, functional, digital products as part of a team.
Common Media crafts custom Drupal and WordPress products from a renovated farmhouse in western Massachusetts. We provide strategic, design, and development services to higher ed, corporate, and nonprofit clients. We believe a website is never done when it launches — it requires continuous refinement and attention to match a client’s evolving needs and goals. All of our project managers, developers, and designers approach their work as a long-term relationship with a client.
Project Managers here are the primary point of contact between our production people and the client — you will own that relationship, nurture it, and help develop the work that grows out of it.
Our PMs tackle a variety of tasks; their role is part strategist, part client advocate/product owner, and part administrator. Often assignments begin with a round of discovery, where — sitting alongside a designer, developer, or strategist — a PM is guiding a conversation to truly understand what a client is asking for and brainstorming with our larger team to find the right solution. Project Managers will participate in a round of QC/testing before a site build or a new feature it goes live. And Project Managers will stay in communication with a client after code is released to ensure it’s meeting expectations and goals laid out at the start of an engagement.
Much of work is done with retainer clients who look to us to augment their in-house capabilities, essentially serving as their web team. We also execute large, often complex design and build jobs (more traditional “projects”) where our team delivers the full suite of services — content, strategy, design, and development — or in collaboration with other agencies. Our Project Managers must be nimble enough to move between these different types of projects; a PM is responsible for understanding the nuances of each contract and relationship and is the primary force making sure we deliver on our promises.
- Committed to supporting digital products holistically and doing excellent work
- We ask lots of questions to understand what a client really needs before offering the best solution
- We’re curious
- We’re genuinely nice people
- Prior experience in an agency or consultancy
- And/or prior experience in a web communications or marketing role
- Experience using Drupal and/or WordPress
- Confident, extroverted and comfortable leading a conversation in a room full of people
- Savvy consumer of digital media and tools
- Eager to work as part of team with technical, strategic, and creative people
- Genuinely nice
Helpful, not required
- Experience defining and documenting requirements and writing tech specs, user journeys, personas, etc.
- Experience overseeing (as a client or project manager) a web build
- Conversational knowledge and comprehension of code/CMS logic and architecture
- Versed in Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager and/or SEO
- Familiar with inbound marketing
- Experience training others in CMS/other digital product use and administration
- Competitive salaries
- A company matched retirement contribution
- Health, dental and vision insurance
- Well-stocked snack shelf
- Cold-brew coffee on tap
- Immediate proximity to the bike path
- A yearly professional development stipend